Deadline: December 16, 2019
The Youth, Peace, and Security (YPS) project at Columbia University is pleased to announce the YPS Leadership program, designed to advance the work of youth leaders around the world by creating joint efforts between practitioners on the ground and research, theory, and practice from the academy.
This program will: develop rigor in youth, peace, and security leadership efforts to increase effectiveness; build on local knowledge and experience to apply globally; enhance practice by grounding it in theory in areas related to YPS; connect global, regional and local networks via our global engagement partners; and support the implementation of the YPS global agenda. The program recognizes advances in the field and work already being done within the YPS realm, while at the same time supporting practitioners by linking their work to tools, research and practice in related fields that will elevate and amplify their work.
Throughout the program, participants will:
- Learn the foundations of YPS
- Discuss the implications of the YPS agenda toward a sustainable and peaceful future
- Enhance their knowledge of the concepts, theory, and skills behind conflict resolution, problem-solving and intervention practices and skills
- Increase communicative behaviors and skills for increasing effectiveness as leaders
- Clarify the important role of youth in maintaining peace and security
- Design and implement a YPS project with their organization
The leadership certificate is designed for youth leaders who:
- Have demonstrated leadership in their efforts to work on behalf of youth initiatives;
- Have some aspect of their work related to the theme of youth, peace and security;
- Are available to travel to Columbia University in New York City for the two-week program to be held May-4-22, 2020;
- Are available to work with a local organization in their city for the following six months through December 2020 on a project they plan during the two weeks in NYC;
- Are 18 -28 years of age;
- Are proficient in English.
Click here to apply.