When we hear environmental pollution, what comes to mind are aerosols, carbon monoxide and gases, so we proudly self-vindicate of environmental pollution.
But Wikipedia explained Environmental Pollution as
“the introduction of contaminants into the natural environment that causes adverse changes. Pollution can take the form of chemical substances or energy, noise, heat or light.”
This implies that environmental pollution is not restricted to air and water, but also takes the form of land and noise, and this, counterchecks our negligence.
So therefore throwing your wraps properly, doesn’t acquit you, when your speakers are blasting over 100dB.
Types of pollutions are unlimited and based on the area of environmental being polluted, and listed below are 8 of them.
1. Water Pollution. The contamination of water bodies like lakes, rivers, streams etc. with pollutants like sewage, plastics, and industrial wastes. This goes hand in hand with land pollution as most of the pollutants of land, end up in the waters.
2. Air Pollution. The release of pollutants like: toxic gases, biological molecules, and particulate matter into the atmosphere.
3. Soil/Land Pollution. The contamination of the soil of an area, thus, results in soil pollution and degradation. Industrial and agricultural chemicals are common pollutants of soil.
4. Noise Pollution. The filling of the environment with unnecessary or unpleasant sounds which could be loud music, people yelling, honking of cars and so on. An average youth, is guilty of this type of pollution, and people staying in places like Lagos are culprits and victims too.
5. Plastic Pollution. This is caused by plastic accumulation in the environment due to their non-biodegradability. Thousands of people die yearly from direct and indirect effects of plastic pollution
6. Radioactive Contamination. The presence of radioactive substances in undesired places, due to irresponsible management of radioactive wastes. Exposure to such substances triggers mutations in genetic materials leading different types of cancers, disfigurations and/or death.
7. Light Pollution. This type of pollution is caused by an excessive lighting of streets, flood lights used in stadiums and industrial area.
8. Thermal Pollution. An induced change in the temperature of large volumes of water causes thermal pollution. This leads to the degradation of water quality as the warm water does not provide ideal living conditions for aquatic flora and fauna.